Wednesday, January 20, 2010

10 years gone

I haven't been able to boot into my good ol' Win2K lately - I've used it only for running the invoicing software for at least 4 years now. But invoices cannot wait too much, so I had to do something about it.
The partition/opsys was listed nicely in the Grub2 menu but when choosing it I met with an ugly message:
error: invalid signature
Nothing more. Not too long, right? :)
Of course I tried googling it and have found quite some references, but most of them were pointing to this forum thread of Ubuntu Forums. I've read that thoroughly and tried every tip included there, but without any luck. So I decided to install a new(er) Windows (ugghhhh) and the invoicing software.
First I saved the MBR with
dd if=/dev/sda of=/mbr.bin -bs=512 -count=1
then installed WinXP easily, then I restored the MBR using 'dd' again (read in more detail here). All that was left was issuing
grub-update
and I was ready.

Windows 2000 - we have spent 10 years together, farewell thee...

No comments:

Post a Comment